I went to the Art Break lecture featuring the BFA candidates: Katharine W. Austin, Shayna Bicknell, and Joshua Torbick. I really enjoyed listening to these students talk about their work and their process for producing the amazing pieces that were showcased in the museum. I enjoyed listening to Shayna describe how she stumbled upon her abstracted painting style and how Katharine utilized the art buildings as her main subject. Josh's pieces particularly impressed me. I had a hard time preventing myself from going to test out the pieces of furniture. I enjoyed listening to the reasons why he combined steel and wood together to create a natural form. I think that Josh's pieces stood out the most to me because I was just in awe that he was able to bend wood into a smooth curve to imitate the flow of nature.
Overall, I enjoyed all three of these BFA students' talks about their work in the past year and I definitely could see growth and change within all the pieces they chose to show us.
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment